world

Democrats urge attorneys to withdraw from Russia probe

U.S. attorney general Matthew Whitaker on Sunday pressured acting U.S. attorney general Matthew Whitaker to specifically bring forward an investigation into Russian meddling in the 2016 U.S. presidential election, vowing to ask him to testify early next year. The house judiciary committee expects new chairman jerrod nadler to say Sunday that the committee plans to subpoena Whitaker to testify as the first witness next year. “He should avoid himself. He’s hostile to the investigation, “nadler said on ABC news'” this week.” “His appointment is just part of Robert mueller’s attack on the investigation.” In a letter to the justice department’s chief ethics officer, senate democratic leader chuck schumer, house democratic leader Nancy pelosi and other top Democrats, asked if the justice department’s ethics lawyers had advised Whitaker to recuse himself and asked for detailed information about any ethics guidance Whitaker had. To receive. “Allowing opponents of the investigation to monitor it would seriously undermine public confidence in the justice department’s work on this vital matter,” the letter said. Democrats have been increasingly alarmed since President Donald trump ordered attorney general Jeff sessions to resign last week and replaced him with sessions’ chief of staff, chief Whitaker. Sessions’ ouster paved the way for Whitaker to succeed in overseeing mueller’s investigation into deputy attorney general rodero sinstein, who recused himself from the probe after Ross rosenstein appointed mueller in May 2017. Before working at the justice department, Whitaker made several negative comments about the mueller investigation and its scope. Whitaker was also a close friend of Sam clovis, trump’s 2016 campaign co-chairman, who has since become a witness in the mueller investigation. “Mr. Whitaker’s relationship with Mr. Clovis, a grand jury witness in the special counsel’s investigation, and other disputes with Mr. Whitaker have raised additional concerns about his ability to independently and impartially oversee the investigation,” the letter said. Trump adviser Kellyanne Conway defended Whitaker’s oversight of the investigation when asked about it on ABC’s “this week.” “The comments made by ...

Read More »

More than 200 people are missing from the most deadly wildfire in California

Earlier on Monday, more than 200 people were missing in California’s most deadly and devastating fire on record. This is one of two fires in the state that has killed at least 31 people and forced more than 250,000 people. Evacuation. 40 miles northwest of Sacramento, the so-called camp fire destroyed more than 6,700 homes and businesses in Paradise Town, more than any wildfire recorded in California. Officials say the fire has burned more than 111,000 acres and the fire has been controlled to 25% by Sunday. Its death toll has reached 29, and 1933 is equivalent to the death toll of the Griffith Park fire. According to Buty County Sheriff Kory Honea, at least 228 people are missing. In Southern California, the Woolsey Fire burned at least 85,500 acres of land and destroyed 177 buildings. The fire was only controlled 15%. According to California Fire Department officials, at least two people were killed in the fire. The fire forced the authorities to issue an evacuation order demanding the evacuation of 250,000 people from the seaside communities of Ventura and Los Angeles County and the Malibu Beach colony. On Sunday night, at the People’s Choice Awards ceremony in Santa Monica, California, some celebrities requested prayers and donations for local residents and first responders. Kim Kardashian, a TV reality show star, said: “We are in the neighbors of Calabas (Karabasas), Hidden Hills (Hidden Hills) and Thousand Oaks (Thousand Oaks) and Malibu. After a tough week.” Actor Melissa McCarthy said: “Please let the victims, volunteers and firefighters stay in your mind.” She also asked people to donate to the Los Angeles Fire Department Foundation. Officials say the dry hot wind is expected to ignite a fire in southern and northern California by Tuesday. Officials urged residents to follow the evacuation order. Los Angeles County Fire Department Director Daryl Osby said on Sunday: “The wind has blown up.” “In the next three days, they will blow. Your house can be rebuilt, but you ...

Read More »

Oil oversupply – major producers plan to negotiate output cuts in 2019

The monitoring committee of the OPEC and non-opec production cut agreement met in ABU dhabi, the united Arab emirates, Thursday to maintain crude prices and is expected to hold comprehensive discussions on production cuts in 2019 at the regular OPEC meeting in early December. It is understood that there is a view in the market that supply and demand will ease due to trends such as rising us oil inventories. New York crude futures traded above $76 a barrel in early October, before the decline intensified. After entering November, it briefly broke below $60. Major producers of temporary output may cut back again to avoid a plunge in crude prices. In a statement issued after the meeting, the oversight committee said it expected supply to rise above global demand in 2019. To balance supply and demand, the statement pointed to the possibility of a “new strategy”. “There may be no increase in capacity,” uae energy and industry minister mazzirui said at a press conference after the meeting. Saudi energy, industrial and mineral resources minister ali al-falih said the kingdom would cut output by more than 500,000 BPD in December from November. On the other hand, Russian energy minister novak said the decision to implement production cuts in 2019 “takes time.” To keep crude prices from rising, Saudi Arabia, Russia and others decided in June to ease the deal and increase supply. The yield target was met by 104 percent in October.

Read More »

France is marking the 100th anniversary of the end of the first world war in Paris

France marked the 100th anniversary of the end of world war I with nearly 70 world leaders in Paris on Thursday. Several leaders, including German chancellor Angela merkel, U.S. President Donald trump, Russian President vladimir putin and Canadian prime minister Justin trudeau, attended the event. Britain, one of the Allies, held a separate memorial in London. New Zealand and Australia also hold relevant activities in their own countries. On July 28, 1914, the austro-hungarian empire declared war on the kingdom of Serbia and the first world war began. In four years, nearly 65 million people went to war, and more than 1.5 billion people were involved in the war, accounting for three-quarters of the world’s population at the time. On November 11, 1918, Germany signed an armistice with the supreme commander of the western front in compiegne, France. To mark the 100th anniversary of the end of the first world war, the British imperial war museum released a pieced together audio that recreated the sound of a minute on or around 11am on November 11, 1918, according to fox news. Reports say there was a faint sound of gunfire in the last second or two before the truce went into effect. But with the 11-point armistice officially in place, all was quiet. On November 10, French President Emmanuel macron and German chancellor Angela merkel arrived at compiegne, the site where the truce was signed, to unveil a monument to reconciliation, according to the guardian. The two also boarded a replica of the train that signed the 1918 armistice. In November 1918, Germany surrendered and an armistice was signed with the Allies. By June 1940, however, Hitler “retaliated” by forcing France to sign the capitulation in the same place. According to the Associated Press, it was the first time since 1940 that the two leaders had met at the site, and macron and merkel’s friendly gesture symbolized Europe’s transformation after two world wars. In compiegne, macron said, “our Europe has enjoyed ...

Read More »

Pompeo Resuming Nuclear Talks with N. Korea This Week

U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo says he is resuming denuclearization talks with North Korea this week in New York, meeting with Pyongyang’s second in command, Kim Yong Chol. Progress on ending Pyongyang’s nuclear weapons programs has slowed in the months since the Singapore summit in June between U.S. President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, when the two leaders signed a general statement calling for the denuclearization of the Korean peninsula. But Pompeo called the coming talks “a good opportunity” to move toward specifics of when and how North Korea might end its nuclear weapons program. The United States is seeking to finalize a deal by the end of Trump’s first term in office in January 2021. Pyongyang said Friday it would “seriously” consider resuming its nuclear testing if U.S. economic sanctions against North Korea are not lifted, but Pompeo, in an interview on Fox News Sunday, dismissed the threat. “I’m not worried about that,” the top U.S. diplomat said Sunday. “We are very focused. We know with whom we are negotiating, we know what their positions (are) and President Trump has made his position very clear” Pompeo said there would be “no economic relief until we have achieved our ultimate objective,” the end of North Korea’s nuclear program. The United States has said it would maintain the sanctions against North Korea until it has reached “final, fully verified denuclearization,” although Pyongyang has described the demands as “gangster-like.” The North Korean foreign ministry, in its latest statement, said, “The improvement of relations and sanctions are incompatible.” Despite the slow pace of the talks, Pompeo cited favorable signs in the U.S.-North Korean relationship. “We haven’t had any missile tests,” he said. “There’ve been no nuclear tests, We’ve had the returns of American remains (from the Korean War of the early 1950s). These are all good steps.”

Read More »

Malibu burning: Kardashians, Lady Gaga, Cher fear for homes

Kim Kardashian and Lady Gaga were among thousands of people fleeing their homes after a fast-spreading wildfire devoured Malibu and nearby celebrity communities on Friday. On Thursday, Kadashan and Kanye West evacuated from their homes near Calabasas. But now more is controlled, and has stopped. Malibu stretches 27 miles (43.5 kilometers) along the Pacific Ocean in Southern California to the San Monica Mountains. On Friday, a wildfire broke out in the night and more than 12000 people in Malibu were forced to evacuate. The twitter account in Mali city said the fire was out of control. There are hundreds of celebrities and entertainment executives in Malibu and Calabasa who are attracted by Malibu’s seascapes, rolling hills and isolated manors. Current and former residents include Barbara Streisand, Tom Hanks, Judd Apartu and Britney Spears. According to celebrity website TMZ, the most famous transgender activist in the United States, Catherine Jenner, was burned down in a fire at her home in Malibu on Friday. Her publicist could not confirm the condition of her house, but told Reuters that Jenna was safe. Residents appealed for help in evacuating horses and other large animals on social media, and long lines of roads along Malibu’s only coastal highway were blocked. Cheel said she has lived in Malibu since 1972. She said on twitter that the fire was approaching her home, but she said she was not there. My friend’s house was burnt down. I can’t stand the idea of not having Malibu. Lady Gaga posted a video on her Instagram account saying she had evacuated from her home in Malibu on Friday and showed smoke billowing overhead. Film director Guillermo del Toro tweeted that he had abandoned the fantasy and horror stories of his huge collection of Bleak House museums. “Desolate Villas and these collections may be on the verge of extinction, but the gift of life still exists,” Oscar-winning director Del Toro said on Twitter. Malibu is also home to dozens of locations. According ...

Read More »

The President of Sri Lanka has announced the dissolution of parliament

Sri lankan President maithripala sirisena signed a communique late Sunday announcing the dissolution of parliament. The communique took effect at midnight on the 9th. Sri Lanka’s government spokesman, Keheliya Rambukwella, confirmed the news, the daily mirror reported. AFP reported that Sri Lanka will hold parliamentary elections on January 5, 2019; Reuters, citing a source, said new parliamentary elections could be held between January and February 2019. Sirisena sacked prime minister vyacheslav vidal on October 26, announcing former President rajapaksa as the new prime minister. Mr. Wickramasinghe later said he would not step down as prime minister and that the change would have to be approved by a parliamentary vote, and urged sri lankan speaker jayasuria to convene a parliamentary session as soon as possible. Sri Lanka’s constitution stipulates that a prime minister appointed by the President must be trusted by parliament, which needs the support of an absolute majority of MPS. The communique signed by sirisena on October 27th announced that parliament would adjourn temporarily until November 16th; A communique signed by sirisena on nov 4 said a parliamentary session would be held on nov 14.

Read More »

California wildfires have killed five people as residents fled along a highway

Five people have been killed in the northern California town of paradise by a mountain fire that broke out in the early hours of Monday morning, and the number of casualties is still being investigated, the beute county sheriff’s office said in a statement Monday morning. The statement said police investigators have received multiple reports of deaths in paradise since Sunday, but the investigation is difficult because of the intense fire. Investigators have now found five people dead in a burned-out car in the town of paradise. The cause of death was determined to have been swallowed by a mountain fire as they fled in a car. The fire started in the early morning near paradise and spread quickly throughout the town, burning thousands of buildings within hours. The site video and images showed fierce fires that even caused rare “” fire rolls,” “with large Numbers of residents fleeing along roads and others trapped in the town waiting to be rescued. As of Saturday morning, the fire had burned an area of 240 square kilometers. The fires not only destroyed paradise, a town of 27,000 inhabitants, but also posed a direct threat to the nearby city of chico, which has a population of 90,000. A state of emergency has been declared in beaufort county, with the California fire department sending more than 2,000 firefighters to help with rescue and fire fighting. Efforts to extinguish the fire have been slow because of strong wind. The weather forecast predicted that local winds would gradually weaken from the 9th to control the fire.

Read More »

Austria’s sensitive capture of “Russian spy” Germany behind the plot?

Relations between Russia and its close European ally, Austria, plunged into crisis on Sunday. Austria announced the arrest of an army colonel accused of spying for Moscow. Mr Obama later cancelled a planned visit to Russia, complaining about the arrest of “Russian spies” in Austria. Austrian experts say Germany may have been responsible. Austria’s government believes a retired colonel in the country’s military has been providing Russian intelligence since the 1990s, ria novosti reported Thursday, citing Austria’s crown newspaper. He worked for Russia for more than 20 years and was paid 300,000 euros. He is said to be in contact with Russian contacts every two weeks, providing intelligence about Austrian troops and personal information about senior officers. The report also said the spy was found with the help of foreign intelligence agencies. Austria’s prime minister kurz confirmed the matter Tuesday and asked Russia for an explanation. Mr Kurz said Austria had summoned representatives of the Russian embassy. He stressed that if suspicions were confirmed, it would do little to improve relations between Russia and the eu. Both the Russian embassy in Austria and the Russian foreign intelligence service declined to comment, itar-tass said. But Russian foreign minister sergei lavrov said Tuesday that the news had “surprised and displeased” him. Mr. Lavrov said it is customary for one country to question another directly and ask for an explanation if it has questions about something. He criticized European partners for adopting microphone diplomacy instead of traditional methods. “” (Austria) publicly rebukes us and asks us to publicly explain on an issue that we know nothing about,” “he said. It is necessary to follow the norms that have been established in international communication practices. In addition, the Russian foreign ministry also summoned the Austrian ambassador to Russia for enquiries. The Russian lawmaker said he could not rule out a fresh round of unjustified attacks on Russia. Senator lutsky said the cancellation of foreign minister barack Obama’s visit to Russia so far should not ...

Read More »

Yemen is in an unprecedented famine: hundreds of millions starved for strategic ports

U.n. humanitarian officials sounded the alarm at an October 23 security council meeting that half of yemen’s war-torn population, about 14 million people, could soon be on the brink of famine and need to rely solely on humanitarian aid to survive. “” there is a looming crisis, a major famine is about to engulf yemen: worse than any famine any expert in the field has seen in his career,” “said mark lowcock, the UN’s humanitarian affairs officer, according to the report. Given that the world has only declared two famines in nearly two decades, the famine in somalia in 2011 and the partial famine in south Sudan in 2017, he described the scale of the famine yemen would face as “shocking”. People in war-torn yemen Reports suggest that Iran and Saudi Arabia are engaged in a proxy war in yemen. In 2015, the saudi-led military coalition intervened in yemen in support of yemeni government forces against the iranian-allied houthi group. Iran denies arming the houthis. Mr. Lowcock said the United Nations is coordinating the distribution of aid to about 8 million people in yemen, adding that the humanitarian crisis has been exacerbated by the economic crisis and the ongoing conflict over the country’s main port of hodeida. Yemen has traditionally relied on imports for 90 percent of its food. He called for a humanitarian cease-fire, securing supplies of food and supplies across the country, more foreign exchange for yemen’s economy through the central bank, greater humanitarian aid and support, and peace talks between warring parties. “In addition to these abstract Numbers, millions of people have relied for years on emergency food aid, but they have received enough assistance to survive and not thrive,” said lowcock. The death toll is unbearably high. “The near-collapse of the immune system of millions of people who have relied for years on aid to survive has increased the likelihood that yemeni citizens, especially children and the elderly, will die from malnutrition, cholera and other diseases,” ...

Read More »